Ginger Sponge Cake With Warm Toffee Sauce
Ginger sponge cake with warm Toffee Sauce
An easy to make tea-time treat, subtly spiced with the warming flavour of ginger. Perfect for the colder months.
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 55g margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 240ml hot water
For the toffee sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 28cm x 18cm/11in x 7in baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the flour, sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl. Using your fingers, rub the margarine in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg, syrup and hot water and mix well with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 35–40 minutes, or until golden-brown and the top is springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin. Once cool, cut into squares.
To make the Toffee Sauce:
Place all of the toffee sauce ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until thickened.