This cocktail is always popular at a BBQ, it looks impressive in the glass too. Beware though, this is strong stuff
- 1 whole ripe watermelon
- 1 x 700ml/1 pt 5¼fl oz bottle black cherry vodka (or similar flavoured vodka)
- champagne, to serve (optional)
- Lay the watermelon on a work surface on its flattest, most stable side. Use a knife to cut a small hole in the top of the watermelon, then insert a small steel funnel into the hole.
- Gradually pour the black cherry vodka into the funnel, allowing each addition of vodka to permeate the flesh of the watermelon before adding the next addition (this will take about two hours and you may not need to use all of the vodka).
- Once the watermelon is full, plug the hole with a cork and cover the watermelon with cling film. Chill in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, transfer the watermelon to a large shallow dish. Using a sharp knife, slice the watermelon into chunks or wedges. (The excess alcohol that the watermelon did not soak up can be added to cocktails or champagne.)